Sunday, March 23, 2008

Naw Ruz and Nose Bleeds

its the new year and im lying in bed with a bleeding nose.
its 30 degrees outside and i cant figure out if i have a fever or if its just the unexpected heatwave.

mum' attempt to make me feel better, via webcam

Mum: Dont feel sad. Think of lassie (my old collie)
Me: She's dead.
Mum: No she's not. She's everywhere.
Me: She's dead.
Mum: Dont say that. Can't you feel her warm fluffy fur?

My mum.
Gotta love her optimism. And this conversation certainly cheered me up.
I remember she used to collect bags of Lassie's fur in the hope of one day making a jersey out of it. Yes. That's right. Wear your dog as a top. The latest fashion of Lower Hutt in 1993. I remember the stench. Bags and Bags of golden brown collie fur in New World plastic bags sitting in our rumpus room by Lassie's mason and pearson brush. The brush was the most expensive one in the house. Lassie was a show dog so she had to have the best.
Yes, i come from the Hutt.
The ultimate apparel. Dressed as your dog.
There was a lady who would actually make the jersey's out of your dog's fur. She had a stall at the dog show's we entered Lassie into (it was my dream as a 11 year old to be the Young Dog-handler of the Year, never quite got there cos Lassie had a limp).
Back to the fur lady, she would spin it herself. All you had to do was supply the fur. She sported one from her german short haired pointer. He must be bauld.
Oh the joys of dogs and dog shows. Lassie, you made my nose bleed stop. Rest in Peace my furry friend.

The image “http://www.weatherwaxtraineddogs.com/LaddieForLassiePageWEB.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

2 comments:

TheBehst said...

When I was in Chelyabinsk, shortly after Naw Ruz, a member of our community showed up at my door. As she presented me with a pair of knitted socks, she apologised for missing the Naw Ruz party.

I was happy to accept this thoughtful gift, since you can still put warm socks to use at this time of year in the Urals. I was impressed by her humility by deflecting the attention from herself saying, "these are from Charlie."

A few days later, I put on my nice warm socks and headed to her flat for a home visit. Of course there were no official home visits in those days, but what else could I do? Upon being greeted at the door, it was apparent that Charlie the black poodle had lost a lot of weight. Coming into the living room, I saw the pile of hair in the corner next to the spinning machine. Although we were not yet officially living in a culture of learning at the time, I did learn something that day.

leila said...

both of you are HILARIOUS. i love these stories. even though they make me a bit sick (i don't know why?) but i'm eating.

xxoo
leila